Warp Drive

Friday, August 28, 2009

Top 10: Movies

A few months ago, I wrote Top 11: Video Games. It was originally Top 10: Video Games, but after my cat passed away, I added Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles without making any omissions. Now, I will attempt to list my 10 favorite movies (of all time!).

1. Back to the Future (1985)



I do not remember where (or when) I first saw Back to the Future. I just know that I have seen it hundreds of times since. Whenever I spot it on TV, I cannot seem to turn the channel, and I already own both DVD sets. It is the kind of movie that you can watch again and again, and every time, experience a little differently. I consider it to be a modern classic. By the way, I have a video of Courthouse Square on YouTube.

2. Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back (1980)



If you thought that this movie would not be on my list, you underestimate the power of the dark side. Certainly, almost everyone will agree that The Empire Strikes Back was the best entry in the Star Wars franchise. It had everything. A badass bounty hunter named Boba Fett, the always menacing Darth Vader, and a little green fella named Yoda. It also had one of the most epic fight sequences in cinema history.

3. Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (1989)



Only the penitent man will read beyond this point. In other words, duck! Out of the other two (wait, three) movies in the Indiana Jones franchise, I found The Last Crusade to be the most enjoyable. It seemed to cover more ground than the last two movies combined, and the puzzling situations seemed perfectly suited for an adventure game. Oh, right, there was an Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade adventure game. Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis is also excellent, but I digress. This is a movie list.

4. Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory (1971)



Watching this movie is like having an acid trip... Not that I have ever experienced an actual acid trip, mind you. Gene Wilder gives an amazing performance as Willy Wonka. I became a fan of his work because of this movie. Wonderful, now I have a craving for chocolate.

5. Ghostbusters (1984)



Who you gonna call? Ghostbusters, of course. This movie (and its sequel) were great, but I think that they went a little hard on poor Slimer. They better not fuck up Ghostbusters 3.

6. Planet of the Apes (1968)



I am not going to lie. This movie scared the shit out of me as a kid. I think that it was some combination of the music, the grotesque ape costumes, and the shockingly twisted ending.

7. Sesame Street Presents: Follow That Bird (1985)



My three year old self would have placed this movie at the top of the list. That is, if he could read and write. In 1985, my parents took me to a drive-in movie theater to see Sesame Street Presents: Follow That Bird, where I poked my head out of the sunroof of a Chevrolet Monte Carlo for the duration of the movie. Shortly thereafter, my room was covered in Sesame Street memorabilia. This movie still makes my list because, unlike some children's movies, it is just as fun to watch today as it was back then, and it still gives me goosebumps.

8. Pee-wee's Big Adventure (1985)



Do you know where your bicycle is? If not, you better go check. This was Tim Burton's first feature length film, and even after Paul Reubens' late night shenanigans in a public theater, it is still one of his best.

9. Beetlejuice (1988)



Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice! Awe, nothing happened. This was Tim Burton's second feature length film. He had many more, but I do not have time to list them all right now. Well, I do have time, but I choose not to.

10. The Wizard of Oz (1939)



It would be a crime not to include this movie on my list. It was one of the earliest talkies, and is considered to be one of the most beloved films of all time. Oh, and by the way, I am not related to Jack Haley (as far as I know).

PS. This list is another sign that I am getting old. Every one of these movies is more than twenty years old. Also, I own ALL of them on DVD.

No comments:

Post a Comment