Warp Drive

Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Tributes Live Forever (Ancestry with the Haleys - Progress Report #2.5)

When it comes to personal tributes, I am certainly no stranger. In March of 2009, my cat of 14 years passed away, and to commemorate his life, I put together a somewhat elaborate two part photo tribute tied to graphics and sound. That same year, my dad was diagnosed with Pancreatic Cancer, and within just weeks of that diagnosis, he too passed away. It was the hardest thing I ever had to deal with, and to this day, I feel that a part of me is still missing. That is why, in 2010, I began a video anthology series titled "...with the Haleys." Its aim, to collect some of my fondest memories of my dad in video; for myself, for my family, for anyone else that knew him, and for those that may not have had a chance to know him. Working on these videos, I have always felt an eerie sense, as if my dad is right there with me. It is why I continue to feel passionate about these projects. From Merry Christmas from the Haleys to Disneyland with the Haleys to Nintendo with the Haleys, it is like writing a beautiful sonnet that which echoes across time. It is my firm hope that others receive at least half as much enjoyment watching them as I do making them.


Disneyland with the Haleys


Nintendo with the Haleys

As some of my readers may be aware, I began a project last year that I titled Ancestry with the Haleys (Progress Report: #1, #2). I still intend to finish that one of these days, but it has proven a lot more daunting than I first thought. Documenting the generations that came before my great grandfather is challenging due to the lack of photography and film in the 19th century. Here I thought that my ancestors were just camera shy! Earlier generations must therefore rely entirely on written documentation, such as word of mouth stories passed down from generation to generation. When I finally compile the video, I will use stock photographs suitable to the times in which my ancestors lived.


Ancestry with the Haleys Promo 2

With all that said, I am beginning to feel that the time is right for another "...with the Haleys" video. I have been collecting a number of photographs and video from Knott's Berry Farm for the last few months now. That seems like a good of a place as any to start, and I have a lot of fond memories of the park, the rides and the restaurant that Cordelia and Walter Knott opened so long ago. I even have a sweet idea for the ending, but I should probably keep some things a surprise. The only thing that I am missing is a font for Knott's Berry Farm, which is one reason why I am writing this. If anyone knows anything about that, or can suggest a similar font, please let me know. I will even credit you in the video.


Knott's Berry Farm Logo (with temporary suffix added)

Bread and butter. (family will understand what this means)

No comments:

Post a Comment