Warp Drive

Sunday, March 8, 2009

Top 11: Video Games

This is my attempt to list my 11 favorite video games (of all time!).

1. Chrono Trigger (SNES)
I first played Chrono Trigger in 2000; one year after the "Year of Lavos." Technically, I first played it on PC, since I used an emulator (Snes9x). Before I played Chrono Trigger, I was not much of an RPG fan. I had a few friends that were very much into RPGs, though. They strongly suggested that I play a few. I was blown away by the depth of Chrono Trigger. I still don't own a legitimate copy, but plan to when I pick up the DSi.

2. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (SNES)
I first played "ALttP" in 1992. It was not the first Zelda game that I ever played, mind you. I played The Legend of Zelda (NES) a few years earlier, which was also a good game, but nowhere near as great as this one. Furthermore, I have not played a Zelda game since then that has matched it. Until I played Chrono Trigger, A Link to the Past was my favorite video game of all time.

3. Super Mario Bros. 3 (NES)
I first played Super Mario Bros. 3 on Christmas Day 1990, as evidenced by these two YouTube videos. The addition of items, map screens, and warp whistles set it apart from Super Mario Bros. and Doki Doki Panic: Mario Edition...Okay, Super Mario Bros. 2U.

4. Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles (GEN)
I first played Sonic the Hedgehog 3 in 1994. By itself, it was very much an underwhelming game, but when locked-on to Sonic & Knuckles, it transformed into something of beauty. Knuckles became a playable character, Super Emeralds could be collected (unlocking Hyper Sonic/Knuckles and Super Tails), and additional levels were available.

5. Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars (SNES)
I first played Super Mario RPG in 2000. It was around the same time as Chrono Trigger, and also via Snes9x. You can save the rotten tomatoes, though. I recently purchased the game on the Wii Virtual Console.

6. Sam & Max Hit the Road (PC)
I first played Sam & Max Hit the Road in 2004; a few days after the cancellation of Sam & Max Freelance Police. The outcry made me wonder just how good the original game was, so I decided to play it for myself. Of course, I was sad afterward.

7. Psychonauts (PC)
I first played Pi...Pyc...Psyco...Psychonauts in 2005. I am not afraid to admit that I couldn't spell Psychonauts until I bought the game. The game itself is mind blowing (literally). You can't expect anything less than awesome from Tim Schafer. Who knows, maybe BrĂ¼tal Legend will make my list. That is, if a PC version is released.

8. Space Quest IV: Roger Wilco and the Time Rippers (PC)
I first played "SQ4" in 1996. I found it in a bargain bin at Price Club for five bucks, so I was not expecting much. It was better than I originally anticipated. Although, it did take several months to complete the Galaxy Galleria sequences due to timer issues. I still consider Space Quest IV my favorite in the series, seeing as it was the first one that I played. I later picked up Space Quest V and Space Quest VI individually, and the "prequel trilogy" (Space Quest I, Space Quest II, and Space Quest III) in the Roger Wilco Unclogged Collection.

9. GoldenEye 007 (N64)
I first played GoldenEye 007 in 1997. For me, it was the pinnacle of first person shooters. Perfect Dark would have made my list, but looking back, it was more of a retooling of what made GoldenEye 007 so good.

10. Star Fox 64 (N64)
I first played Star Fox 64 in 1997. I was never a very big fan of rail shooters, but this was one of the best. Of course, it does also contain a few free roaming stages.

11. Donkey Kong Country 2 - Diddy's Kong Quest (SNES)
I first played Donkey Kong Country 2 in 1995. I actually played this one before Donkey Kong Country. "DKC2" was the high point of the series for me. It fizzled a bit with Donkey Kong Country 3, and became mediocre with Donkey Kong 64.

No comments:

Post a Comment