Warp Drive

Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Farewell, Satoru Iwata

I, like many others, was shocked to learn of Satoru Iwata's sudden death. Yet another tragic victim of cancer. He was Nintendo​'s chief executive officer. But he was so much more to the fans; more than a mere businessman. He himself was a gamer. He touched so many with his Iwata Asks and Nintendo Direct initiatives.

IGN's tribute illustrates the man far better than I can put into words...


IGN's A Farewell Tribute to Nintendo's Satoru Iwata

Something rather personal I felt like sharing for this somber occasion: When we received our first Nintendo Entertainment System in 1990, I would play with Dad from time to time. Great times were had with such games as Duck Hunt and Excitebike. I think he enjoyed them more before my brother and I became NES wizards. He would later recall times playing the Super Mario Bros. games with the most fondness. Because, I presume, they were somewhat less competitive. When I picked up the Nintendo Wii in 2006, he decided to give it another try. He found the motion controls gave him an edge at Wii Sports Bowling. I think I may have let him win "sparingly!" We held our last match in August of 2009, just two months before his own untimely passing. Wii Sports Bowling is one of those rare games I have not had the heart to play again in the time since. It would seem some of the sweetest memories are not captured on film! Nintendo helped shape many of them for people the world over. They helped transform a simple passtime into a form of art, and more importantly, an expression of love.

Thank you to Iwata-san and company for everything! I wish Nintendo the best in choosing a new leader with the same charisma, humbleness and passion for creativity.

For anyone who has never seen it before, below I have attached my Nintendo with the Haleys tribute from a few years back.


Nintendo with the Haleys

Continue? 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2...

No comments:

Post a Comment