Warp Drive

Saturday, November 13, 2010

Gabriel Night

On November 12th, 195...2010, I took my bicycle for a ride alongside the San Gabriel River. Beside the river is a cemented bike trail which stretches to the Pacific Ocean (Seal Beach). Having few daylight hours to spare, and being my first time on the trail, I did not see the trip through to completion, but this story is not about that.

On the way back, I discovered a black kitten. I find that animals are always a source of joy, so I decided to stop and visit with the little guy. I approached him very slowly, and after he realized that I was not a threat, he rubbed against my pant leg. I did not have any food to give him, but I did have some water.

I was all set to leave when he started following me. He must have followed me for a good quarter mile before I put two and two together, and realized that he was homeless. He had no name tags, and from the looks of it, was very malnourished. I questioned a few people that passed by on the trail, but nobody seemed to know anything about him.

I am rarely spontaneous like this, but at that moment, I made the decision to pick him up, and carry him with me. He did scratch me a few times, but that was due in large part to dogs being in the area. I stopped at Palm Park, where I arranged to meet with my mom...and a pet carrier. While waiting for her to arrive, I sat the kitten on a picnic table, and poured some water for him to drink. I had a few people look at me funny, but really, why should I care what they think?

As soon as my mom arrived, I put the kitten in the pet carrier, and we drove to Pet Smart. As it turns out, the lady that handles pet adoptions had just left, so we brought the kitten home for the night. We took him back to Pet Smart the next day, and they told us that they were packed, and that no more animals will be processed before Christmas. Add to that, black cats are especially difficult to place in homes. However, they did trim his nails, deworm him, and give us an approximation of 4 to 5 months of age. To make a long story short, we now appear to be +1 cat.



No comments:

Post a Comment